image association

Сertified translations

Our specialist translation office offers certified translations of a diverse range of official documents and certificates into all languages.


  • Secondary-school graduation certificates of all kinds
  • Final graduation certificates of all kinds
  • Work books
  • Job references
  • Certificates of change of name
  • Diplomas
  • Certificates of good conduct
  • Birth certificates
  • Marriage certificates
  • Personal identification cards
  • Passports
  • Divorce papers
  • School report cards
  • Death certificates
  • Course books
  • Certificates

What does "certified translation" actually mean exactly?

Documents, certificates and deeds from abroad which need to be presented to the authorities, registry offices, lawyers, insurance providers, medical clinics or education institutions. In order that these are even accepted and recognised, they need to be translated by a sworn (in other federal states: recognised or authorised) document/certificate translator. This means that such a translator not only needs to be correspondingly educated and qualified, but is also required to take translator's oath before the district court with respect to the languages they translate to and from. This obligates the translator to translate all the content of a text faithfully and conscientiously. This is otherwise a criminal offence on the part of the translator.

In their attestation clause, the translator declares before which district court, in which federal state, for which languages they are sworn for and in which language the original text is written. Furthermore, the translator must confirm that the translation completed by them is correct and complete by applying their personal seal and signature to the respective document.


Wide-spread misconceptions with respect to certified translations

Many people mix up the expressions that we commonly use. This means that there are no such things as "certified translators/interpreters", only "certified translations" (translations that have been certified) and "sworn translators/interpreters" (publically appointed and sworn translators/interpreters).


Which translations actually even need to be certified?

That is one of the questions that our customers most frequently ask. Summarised in short: All texts that are regarded as official documentation of whatever kind and which may not be issued by just anyone, but instead only by responsible organisations or institutions. Which documentation you need to have translated predominantly depends on the purpose for, and the institution to which the documentation needs to be presented or submitted. In certain countries there are two or even more official languages. It is for this reason that official documents are often issued in the respective locally used language and in the English language. Due to the fact that the only official language in Germany is German, all documents in another language that need to be presented or submitted to a public authority, institution or agency (universities, regional or state institutions or agencies, registry offices, town and city halls, consulates, embassies etc.) must be done so in the form of a certified German translation in conjunction with the original.


Using official German documents abroad

Official documents issued by public authorities, institutions or agencies in Germany will only then be recognised when they are accompanied by an authentication. This entails an additional attestation clause, which confirms the signature of the person who issued and signed the respective official document.

There are two types of attestation clause: The Apostille and the Legalisation.

In accordance with The Hague Convention abolishing the Requirement for Legalisation of Foreign Public Documents dated 05.10.1961, the States which are party to the treaty have agreed on the use of a simplified form of the certificate of authenticity, namely the Apostille, instead of the Legalisation. The Legalisation annotation is applied to all other documents. That means that the authenticity of the official document needs to be confirmed by the responsible mission of the German Federal Republic in the respective country.

For the administrative district Middle Franconia, the Middle Franconian administration in Ansbach is responsible. The following documents can be attested by the Middle Franconian administration:


  • Original German documents (for example diplomas, certifications or personal records such as birth certificates, marriage certificates or naturalisation certificates etc.)
  • official certifications of original German documents,

as far as they have been issued by the Middle Franconian administration, but not by a German Federal authority. This means that judicial decisions, translations from publically appointed and sworn translators, texts from Notary Publics or certificates of good conduct will not be attested.

You need to take heed of the fact that all parishes belonging to the administrative district (in Middle Franconia all parishes except for Ansbach, Erlangen, Fürth, Nuremberg and Schwabach) require an advance certification by the respective responsible district administrative office.

If needed, we will take care of the attestation clause (Apostille) by acquiring it from the responsible authority, institution or agency, when you need to present or submit your German documentation abroad.

Do you need a certified translation? Then you've certainly come to the right place! Why not test our very fast, competent and friendly service for yourself! Ring us now by dialling 0911 – 650 08 650 and we will provide you with all the help, advice and information you need.

AP Fachübersetzungen – reliable without any exception!